Our Arts Award programme provides a range of opportunities for students to deepen their engagement with the arts, build creative and leadership skills and achieve a national qualification. This accreditation is provided by Trinity College London in association with Arts Council England.
Arts Award’s principles
- to offer learning and qualifications which support individual creative development in any setting
- to place young people at the heart of the Arts Award process
- to increase young people’s experience and understanding of arts practitioners and cultural organisations
- to embrace new art forms and technologies
- to reach the widest possible range of young people
Formby High School is proud to be an Arts Award Champion Centre and we offer Bronze, Silver and Gold activities to students across the school.
Bronze Arts Award
Students in Year 9 can opt for the Bronze course as part of our Discovery Year curriculum.
To achieve a Bronze Arts Award qualification, students collect evidence of their arts experiences in an individual arts log or portfolio. Students will have one lesson per week on their timetable and should also actively participate in a regular creative activity in or out of school; attend at least one live arts event and submit a review; research the career and work of an artist, performer or creative practitioner; and pass on an arts skill to someone else via a workshop or practical experience.
Students can link their work to art forms including dance, drama, music, theatre production and set design. This qualification is a great way to get inspired and enjoy the arts.
Further details can be found here: https://www.artsaward.org.uk/site/?id=65
Silver Arts Award
Students in Year 10 and 11 can take the Silver Arts Award as an extra-curricular option. Suitable candidates must be involved in regular arts activity both in and out of school. To achieve the Silver Arts Award, students collect evidence of their arts experiences in an individual arts portfolio. This includes:
Arts practice and pathways
- identifying and planning an arts challenge
- implementing and reviewing their arts challenge
- reviewing arts events/experiences and sharing their views
- researching future opportunities and careers in the arts
- identifying a leadership role and planning a leadership project
- planning the practical issues
- being an effective arts leader
- working effectively with others
- reviewing their project and the development of their leadership skills
Further details can be found here: https://www.artsaward.org.uk/site/?id=66
Gold Arts Award
Students in Years 12 and 13 can take the Gold Arts Award as part of our Sixth Form Enrichment programme. Suitable candidates must be involved in regular arts activity both in and out of school. Our cohort will work individually and collaboratively across the two years, developing their specialist skills and interests, as well as high quality group planning skills.
Over recent years, specialist areas have included, poetry, photography, fashion design, songwriting, jazz improvisation, architecture, film making and much more.
To achieve a Gold Arts Award, students collect evidence in an individual arts portfolio of their experiences of:
Personal arts development
- extending their own arts practice, experiencing another art form and creating new work
- identifying and being involved in the world of the arts through placements, volunteering, training and research
- reviewing arts events/experiences and finding out about artists and their career paths
- making the case for an arts issue and communicating the case
Leadership of an arts project
- planning a project, identifying the project’s aims and outcomes
- organising the people and resources
- delivering the project and managing the effectiveness of the project
- managing a public showing/sharing of the work
- reviewing their leadership development and finding effective ways to collect and evaluate feedback from participants, audience members and other stakeholders
Further details can be found here : https://www.artsaward.org.uk/site/?id=67
You can check some of our recent work by accessing our YouTube links below.