Mental health is about the way you think and feel and how you deal with ‘ups and downs’.
At Formby High School we are committed to providing students with comprehensive support and guidance in order to help them maintain mental well-being and support friends in need.
Where do I go if I need help?
If you are finding it difficult to cope, you feel overwhelmed, or are concerned about someone else, please speak to an adult in school. The Sefton School Nurse (Stacie Brown) is also available every Monday lunchtime. This is a drop in clinic (held in the Well-being Centre) just for students. The nurse is an expert who can talk to you and who is dedicated to helping those like you. You are not alone.
Children’s Mental Health Week – 4-10 February 2019
Place2Be launched the first ever Children’s Mental Health Week in 2015 to shine a spotlight on the importance of children and young people’s mental health. Now in its fifth year, they hope to encourage more people than ever to get involved and spread the word. Formby High School’s Parliament and Junior Leadership Team representatives will be leading a week long programme of awareness and fund raising to mark the national Children’s Mental Health Week.
There will be a number of activities taking place:
- Monday – Parent Information Evening to support parents to deal with anxiety issues with children – click the image below to access a copy of the presentation:
- All Week – School Parliament / JLT led assemblies on mental health and well-being
- Wednesday – RESPECT lessons to focus on mental health, providing information on support available
- Thursday – Cake Sale to raise funds for mental health support charities
Useful Websites and Resources:
- Anxiety UK – self help and contacts for those with anxiety disorders
- B-eat – the UK’s leading charity supporting those affected by eating disorders and campaigning on their behalf
- Campaign against Men Living Miserably (CALM) – targeted at men aged 15-35
- Charlie Waller Memorial Trust – awareness, information and resources for those who are depressed
- Childline – information, advice and emotional support for young people
- Hope Again – bereavement support for young people
- Marie Collins Foundation – UK charity enabling children who suffer sexual abuse and exploitation via internet and mobile technologies to recover, live safe and fulfilling lives
- Mind – the mental health charity for children and young people
- Mindful – an online service for people aged 11-17 providing support, information and advice about mental health and well-being
- No Panic – a website and telephone helpline (0808 138 8889) for anxiety disorders and panic attacks (10am to 10pm daily)
- Online Gaming – FHS advice letter
- OCD Action – information and support for OCD and related disorders such as Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Papyrus – suicide prevention charity
- Hopeline UK – a specialist telephone services providing professional support, advice and information to teenagers through to age 35
- Rethink.org – help and support for people affected by mental illness
- Samaritans – emotional support at any time (116123)
- SANE – a mental health charity offering emotional support, research and campaigning
- SelfHarm UK – dedicated to supporting young people impacted by self-harm
- Stamp Out Suicide – points of contact for those feeling emotionally vulnerable
- Stem4 – teenage mental health charity aimed at stemming commonly occurring mental health issues at an early stage
- Students Against Depression – information and help for anyone feeling depressed, aimed particularly at students
- Depression in Teenagers – self help strategies for those with depression and/or their friends
- Young Minds
- Youth Health Talk – video interviews with young people’s experiences of depression
The MindShift App
Struggling with anxiety? Tired of missing out? There are things you can do to stop anxiety and fear from controlling your life. MindShift is an app designed to help teens and young adults cope with anxiety. It can help you change how you think about anxiety. Rather than trying to avoid anxiety, you can make an important shift and face it. MindShift will help you learn how to relax, develop more helpful ways of thinking, and identify active steps that will help you take charge of your anxiety.