A big FHS welcome to all our new Year 7 students joining us in September 2021!
We are delighted you have chosen Formby High School for your secondary education and we look forward to working with all parents and students to ensure the next five to seven years are enjoyable, challenging and highly rewarding.
Our Transition Team, led by Mr Cook (Senior Assistant Headteacher) and Mrs Edey (Climate for Learning Leader Year 7), oversees the smooth transition of students from primary to secondary school on an annual basis. Your child’s Form Tutor will be with them for the next five years of school and will be key point of contact for you.
Important Information Letters for Year 6 Parents
Throughout the transition process, we communicate with our new parents by email via the address you used to submit your preference to Sefton in October. We are confident that you will enjoy this transition process and that your child will be fully supported during this important milestone for them. Becoming part of the FHS family will be an experience they won’t forget and we are very much looking forward to meeting everyone over the coming weeks.
- March 2021 – parents of all students who have received offers of places at FHS have received a ‘Welcome to Formby High School’ letter from Mr Mackenzie containing links to important online forms which must be returned to FHS before Easter in order to confirm your child’s place.
- March 2021 – parents have been sent emails with the link for booking Summer School 2021
- Primary School Liaison – over recent weeks, our Transition Team has been working with your child’s primary school to ensure we have all the information we need to help him/her enjoy his/her transition to secondary school in September and make the experience as smooth and effective as possible.
- Induction Days – this year we will be holding two induction days in July – please check your welcome letter for which date your child will be attending (based on his/her primary school). These action-packed days will give students a flavour of life at FHS and all that is on offer. As well as taster lessons, students will meet their form tutors and key members of staff throughout the day as they get to know the school. Information has been provided in your welcome letter and more detail will be provided closer to the date and based on government guidance at the time around social distancing etc.
- A Parents’ Information Evening – this will take place on Monday 12 July 2021 and will to give parents important information about starting school in September and life at Formby High School. In addition, you will have an opportunity to ask questions and meet the school’s Senior Leadership Team and Year 7 Pastoral Team. Representatives of the school’s Governing Body and Friends of Formby High School (PTA) will also attend and
there will be displays of the school’s uniform. This information evening is for parents only – students need not attend. We will write to you further with timings and further information. .
Summer School 2021
Over recent years, Formby High School has enhanced its transition programme with a series of hugely successful summer schools. These have been designed to give new Year 7 students the opportunity to experience the school before starting in September, whilst taking part in a wide variety of exciting practical workshops. In the current climate, we want to do everything we can ensure a smooth and meaningful transition from Year 6 for all our new starters and the opportunity to attend Summer School provides a valuable boost as we approach September. Each day starts at 9.00am and ends at 3.00pm. Students should wear comfortable clothing suitable for practical workshops and bring a packed lunch and drinks.
We are determined to continue the valuable experiences offered in recent years and to do that, we will require a daily fee of £16.50 per student to attend. Parents may book onto the Summer School for the full week or for a combination of days, to suit individual circumstances. Payment in full should be made online to ensure you secure your place each day. You will receive a confirmation from Eventbrite at the time of booking, to ensure your diaries can be set for the busy summer holiday period.
The school has two approved uniform suppliers, Whittakers Schoolwear (Southport) and Monkhouse.Schoolwear Specialists (Crosby). Full details of uniform requirements can be found on our Uniform page of the Key Information section of this website.
Please remember that email is the primary method of communication with parents at FHS. Up until September, we will communicate with you from our firstname.lastname@example.org email. However, on your child’s first day in September, you will receive an invitation email from ParentMail, our chosen home/school communication platform, with your unique registration link. Please ensure you register as soon as possible to avoid missing important communications from the school. For both environmental and financial reasons, the school has chosen to be as paper free as possible and we appreciate your full support!
We encourage you to keep in regular touch with us via Formby High School’s various communication channels over the coming weeks and months as we will use these to provide frequent updates and announce creative approaches to continuing provision and community engagement throughout the current closure period:
- FHS on Twitter – our Twitter account (@FormbyHigh) is a vibrant source of news and updates from across the life and work of the school. Many of our subject areas also have Twitter accounts which you can link to via the school’s main account.
- FHS on YouTube – we have recently added several fantastic, creative videos to our channel, which are well worth a quiet moment to watch!
- Email – don’t forget, if you have any questions or concerns you would like to raise with us, please don’t hesitate to email email@example.com.
A Virtual ‘behind the scenes’ tour video – this was developed last summer when the last Year 6 group were unable to attend the school for induction days due to lockdown restrictions. This will give you and your child a sneak peak around before their visit in the summer!